The English Language GCSE course encourages a broad study of several fiction and non-fiction texts from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. The course focuses on looking at the writer’s craft, and the effects that they aim to have with their writing. It also encourages students to consider the context of the texts that they study, and to use all of these skills to write successfully and accurately for themselves.
What Will I Learn?
On this course you will learn the following key skills:
- Read a wide range of texts, fluently and with good understanding
- Read critically, and use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing
- Write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately
- Use grammar correctly, punctuate and spell accurately
- Acquire and apply a wide vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology, and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
Interested in Applying?Apply Now
Assessment & Qualifications
You will sit two written examinations and also complete a speaking, listening and communicating presentation.
GCSE English Language is essential for further education, no matter what you move onto next.
With a GCSE in English Language you can move onto careers into a variety of fields including journalism, publishing, teaching English, legal work, public relations, advertising, and translating and interpreting work.